*****

Important Notice!!! We are currently dealing with a serious health crisis involving David. Computer time and blogging will be taking a backseat until we can get this situation under control and, hopefully, save his leg. Please bear with us as we go through this difficult time. Thank you for any prayers that you can offer up.

Also, if you'd love to help cheer him up, please subscribe to his YouTube channel. That would really make his day! The link is at the bottom of all of my posts.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all of you!

03 March 2013

Fearless Females: March 3 - Name - Susie Annie Gunter

Please visit Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month at The Accidental Genealogist.

March 3 — Do you share a first name with one of your female ancestors? Perhaps you were named for your great-grandmother, or your name follows a particular naming pattern. If not, then list the most unique or unusual female first name you’ve come across in your family tree. 

My daddy had a grandmother named Annie Black Gunter, the one this blog is named after. He called her “Big Mama”. Annie had a sister named Susie. My daddy wanted me to be named after both his grandmother and his aunt. He really loved both of them very much. Susie Annie was what I started out to be. My final name was Suzanne.

For years I was glad that Suzanne was chosen instead of Susie Annie, but the more I work on the family history, the more I like Susie Annie. I think that it would have been a cool name. As it was, I had no middle name and got lots of grief about that. No one believed that I had no middle name. They figured that it was really something stupid and I was just too embarrassed to share it with them.

The name that stands out to me the most of my female ancestors is Philadelphia Isabella. She was my maternal-grandmother’s paternal grandmother. I often thought that if I had another daughter, I would name her Delphia or Bella – maybe both!- after this great-great-grandmother. I can still hope for a grandchild to carry her name.

I don’t have any pictures of Annie, though I did see one when I was a child. But, I do have one of Philadelphia.

2 comments:

  1. Wow how nice that you had a grand mother like that and you have a photo.
    I love stories like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I appreciate that. I love to read family history stories, too. I am very happy to have this photo of my Great-Great-Grandma Delphia, even though it is only in digital form at this time. I feel like I have missed a lot by never getting to meet Big Mama Annie and Grandma Delphia. They both died before I was born. But, I am blessed to have their blood in me and count them in the list of the women that built me. :)

      Thank you for stopping by and commenting. I hope that you have a great weekend!

      Delete

All comments are moderated to help avoid any problems.

I appreciate your comments and will respond as soon as possible. I respond to all comments here on this blog.

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment. Have a blessed day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...