“Back where I come from
Where I’ll be when it’s said and done
I’m proud as anyone
That’s where I come from”
This challenge is based on Kenny Chesney’s song “Back Where I Come From”. I have included other home-and hometown-related questions to round out our 30 days of posts.
You can hear the song here: Back Where I Come From
- Were you raised in the town in which you were born? Where were you raised?
- Were either of your parents raised in your hometown? If not, how did they end up there?
- Were you raised in a town/city or in a rural area? Do you live in the same type of place now?
- What were your hobbies as you were growing up?
- Where did all the kids “hang” in your hometown?
- Did your town have a river running through or near it? What was its name?
- Did you ever participate in creating graffiti or any type of artwork that would have been confrontational?
- How old were you when you took your first drink of alcohol, if you ever have? What were the circumstances surrounding that moment?
- Do you plan to move back to your hometown area in your older years? Why or why not?
- How do you feel about the place that you came from?
- Were there a lot of churches in your hometown? What about where you live now?
- On the opposite side of the fence, did you know of anyone engaged in an illegal activity? (In the song, they mention moonshine.)
- What color were the eyes of your first date?
- Do you tan easily or do you burn instead?
- When did your family get their first color television set? Do you remember the first show that you watched on it?
- Was your hometown a “backwards” place or do you feel that it was progressive?
- Was your hometown an economically advantaged or disadvantaged area?
- Did you like your childhood home? What did you like or not like about it?
- Did you have any pets in your childhood home? If so, please tell me about them. If you have a photograph of any of your childhood pets, please share.
- Did you have a neighborhood park/playground? Did you play there?
- Were there any flowers growing in your yard back home? What kind? Were you or your parents good gardeners?
- Did you have chores when you were a kid? What were they? What did you think about having chores? What was your least favorite chore? Is it still?
- Are you ever homesick for your hometown?
- Does your hometown have a website? Please share the link.
- What is your hometown known for? In other words, what makes it special?
- Does your hometown experience all four seasons? If not, which ones does it skip over?
- If there were no restrictions such as money or employment, where would you most like to live?
- Was your hometown like one big family or just a group of strangers?
- Does your hometown have a newspaper? Does it come out daily, bi-weekly, weekly, or some other frequency? Does your hometown have its own radio station?
- Reflection post: What did you think of this challenge? Did you enjoy it? Do you have any suggestions for 2018’s challenge song?