Saturday 9: Jamming (1977)
... Because Eloquent Obi suggested Bob Marley. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In Jamaica, "jamming" means to celebrate. What's going on in your life today that's worth celebrating?
|David and Suzanne, 2014|
It is worth celebrating that David is still here on this side of the dirt. He had three strokes between May 26 and May 28. He is at a higher risk for another one, possibly more severe, during the first ninety days. We have made it 62 days without another one so far. OORAH!
2) The group that became famous as "The Wailers" originally called themselves "The Teenagers." What was trendy when you were a teenager (clothes, music, etc.)?
|Suzanne, Fall 1982|
I had my 15th birthday in 1980. Big hair, baby! Haha You wouldn't believe some of the hairdos back in the early 1980s. Mine was a bit poufy by nature. I had naturally curly hair, so I didn't have to do anything to it to make it "big". Other folks went all out with really big curly perms and such. Parachute pants were in, as were long shirts worn over leggings. Here is a picture of me in my long kitty cat shirt along with our super stylin' first born.
|Suzanne and Jared, 1986|
3) Bunny Wailer and Bob Marley were very close. In addition to being bandmates, they were friends in elementary school and later became family (Bunny's dad and Bob's mom had a daughter together). Who has known you the longest?
|"Pretty" Ed Brooks|
Mama would be the obvious answer, but maybe you want non-relatives. I'm also assuming that they need to still be alive. That lets out J.D. Brooks and his brother Pretty Ed Brooks. Nothing like a difficult question here. :) Of people that I still talk to on occasion, that would be Holly. I knew her before I knew David. She's the one that told him to feel how cold my hands were and all I could do was giggle.
|Suzanne & Holly|
4) Does the person you named in #3, the one who's known you longest, know you best?
Not really, not anymore. David would probably be the one that knows me best, but I don't reckon that he has me all figured out just yet.
5) Bandmate Peter Tosh became an avid unicycle rider. What's your favorite form of exercise?
Going to the mailbox. And dancing, which I sometimes do at the mailbox when we get a letter from Davey.
6) Bob Marley was known for his signature dreadlocks. When were you last in a stylist’s chair?
It has been a few years, within the last six years. Our friend Lydia cut and styled my hair much like it was when I was a kid. Kind of like this, only it looked like it had been brushed when Lydia got done with it:
|Suzanne, probably 4th or 5th grade|
7) Marley's charisma is credited for popularizing reggae music the world over. Are you a fan?
I like reggae music okay. It has a kicky sound to it. I like various styles of music.
8) Mr. Marley is one of the highest-earning dead celebrities, and manufacturers pay his estate to use his likeness to sell their merchandise. What dead celebrity have you seen recently on a t-shirt, mug, poster, etc.?
Elvis. I also saw a shirt with what I think was Kurt Cobain on it awhile back.
9) Random question: Have you ever had your palm read?
Not intentionally. Someone flipped over my hand once and said that I had a long lifeline, but that it was cut short, faded at the end…Basically, a life not lived to its fullest potential. I don't believe in this stuff and think it is wrong to do readings like this for a multitude of reasons. However, I know why mine would not be lived to its potential. I have COPD. It is hard to live life to the fullest when something so basic as breathing is a struggle.
Please be sure to read David's Saturday 9 post over at Random Thoughts and Observations. Thanks!
Please subscribe to David's YouTube Channel. Thanks!