*****

Important Notice!!! We are currently dealing with a serious health crisis involving David. Computer time and blogging will be taking a backseat until we can get this situation under control and, hopefully, save his leg. Please bear with us as we go through this difficult time. Thank you for any prayers that you can offer up.

Also, if you'd love to help cheer him up, please subscribe to his YouTube channel. That would really make his day! The link is at the bottom of all of my posts.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all of you!

24 May 2011

Wandering, But Not Lost

"Not all who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

I can believe this. It is the path of my life. There are folks who think that I lack focus and will never get anywhere because there are so many things that I want to do.

I like to keep my options open, not being tied down to any one "dream", but staying open to possibilities with all of the things that intrigue me. I have tried to pin my dreams down to one board, but all this "putting my eggs in one basket" has gotten me is a dream that is stalled due to mechanical failure of the key ingredients.

I want to be a terrific photographer, not just a picture taker. I want to be a painter, both digitally and with paint splattered all over me in the flesh. I want to read and I want to write with the passion and flair had by the people whose books I read.

I want to create something so cool that people can't help but stop in their tracks and say "Wow!", something that makes a possibly life-changing difference to someone, even if I never know about it.

I'm thinking, if I'm pinned down to one spot, that can't happen. Maybe I need to be wandering free, exploring *all* of the things that I find exciting in order to find that "Wow!" moment, to make a difference.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think that you should wander, exploring various possibilities, or do you think you should set a target, aim straight for that, with no detours along the way? Please share! I would love to hear what you think!

4 comments:

  1. I am somewhat, ahem, shall we say older than you and if there is one thing I have learned is you can't pigeonhole yourself.
    I worked, I quit and raised kids, I painted and sold my work, I learned and documented my family history back to the late 1500's and then started doing it for other people too, I learned about plants and created beautiful gardens.
    I learned a ton about computers and teach seniors and others in my area. I started blogging and learned how to write html code.

    Then in my 50's went back into the work force and in just over a year I am training for new posistions in the company with a future that is wide open.
    I didn't plan any of it. I just lived my life doing what I enjoyed and learning new things constantly.
    Was I aimless? Nope. I had great aim and whenever I started something new I hit that target right on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMO, when your aim is to fully experience the human condition, then wandering is a part of it. It you have a clear path, shoot your arrow and miss, what do you do then?

    I'm a wanderer, so I understand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lori E

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts here, Lori. We have several things in common. I love genealogy research, too. It is one of my most favorite things and if I can help someone unlock a family mystery of their own, then all the better.

    I can see the benefits of aiming and I can see them for flying blind. Both have obstacles to overcome, too.

    No matter which path we decide to take, life is certainly an adventure, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Miel et Lait

    Thanks, Miel. :) I think in many ways, we are kindred spirits. I'm better at wandering than aiming, but I figure eventually, hopefully, I will get to where I'm supposed to be.

    Learning happens along the way, whether aiming or wandering. So, it's all good. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated to help avoid any problems.

I appreciate your comments and will respond as soon as possible. I respond to all comments here on this blog.

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment. Have a blessed day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...